I love Target. I have since I was a kid. I love that since I live in MN, I can find a store in almost every larger town and in the Twin Cities, well let’s just say it’s ALMOST as bad as Starbucks in Seattle. The 6 months we lived in west Virginia after we got married were torturous for me because there was no Target close by. We had a Walmart, but it’s not even close to the same thing. So back when I was a kid we went to Target once a month to get all of the household goods, school supplies, and occasionally some new clothes because well, that was all they sold back in the day. With the birth of the Super Target years ago, I can get my groceries there now too. Instead of once a month, I probably make a trip to Target twice if not 3 times a week.
We’ve had a pretty tight budget most of our married life, so I have had to be very careful when I go grocery shopping to stay out of the home goods area of good ole Targjay. It’s so easy to get sucked into all of the gorgeous textiles, pretty lamps and picture frames and the always fun summery special lines of dinner/entertaining ware. I’ve learned to pretty much stay out of any of my favorite home stores for the good of our finances and my contentment. Things are starting to be a little less tight and on a recent trip to Targjay to buy a baby gift for my sister-in-law, I passed a clearance end cap and stopped to check it out. I found an assortment of discontinued red, metal pitchers. Obviously the one below is slightly different than the one I bought.
They had originally sold for $12 and $15, but they were clearanced for $5. Who can pass up 5 dollars for a pitcher?! I knew I didn’t want to use it for a pitcher which is good because the tag on the bottom said it wasn’t to be used in consumption and that it wasn’t water safe. I also knew that I didn’t want to leave it ‘as-is’ in color and texture. I saw an antiqued white pitcher with distressing. So that is what I set out to do.
I picked up some trusty Rustoleum spray paint in an antique white color, with a satin finish. I chose not to sand the pitcher and didn’t use any primer. I sprayed two light coats to cover the red. I let it dry and then gave it a light sanding with a little more pressure in certain areas to lay a foundation for the distressing.
After I wiped it down with a damp paper towel, I sprayed a heavier coat, let it sit just long enough to get tacky and then spray it again. I wanted to get a build up that I could distress later. As you can see from the difference in pictures, I started this project in my basement, but the air flow wasn’t as good as I thought, so I took it outside to finish it. I sanded down the thicker spots of paint while it was dry to the touch, but still a bit tacky underneath. The sanding took off small gobs of paint which is just what I was looking for.
What I hadn’t counted on, but love, is that as the paint dried further, it cracked. Major plus!
I finished the piece up with some additional sanding on the handle edges (though it doesn’t really show in the pictures) and the spout. I really love how it turned out and I know that it will become further distressed as we use it.
It makes a perfect vase for my remembrance rose for baby AJ who has been with Jesus for 4 years. I just really really love how it turned out!